Gluten Free, Satisfying and Even the Kids Will Love These Family Friendly Finger to Mouth Bites!
1 Butternut Squash - Select one with the longest "tube" top for a higher yield
Sugar Free Tomato Sauce
Italian Blend Shredded Cheese or/and sliced Provolone
Fresh Garlic, minced
Fresh Oregano, chopped
Kale, finely chopped
Walnuts, chopped or Pine Nuts
Optional: local from the farm sweet sausage, or organic pepperoni
1. Slice, with skin on, long neck end of butternut squash into rounds, 1 - 2 slices per person.
2. Bake in cast iron skillet, glass baking dish or parchment lined sheet tray with olive oil and sea salt until tender and slightly golden, about 12 minutes. Turn each round over part way through.
3. Top with sauce, cheese, herbs, greens, & nuts. Select your favorite toppings.
4. Return to oven and bake or broil until bubbly and slightly golden, 2 - 5 minutes.
5. Cut in quarters and serve.
Special thanks to my Institute for Integrative Nutrition colleague, Maureen Halnon Wheeler in Burlington, VT for sparking the idea for this easy winner!